Wednesday 2 March 2016

Lunar module - Finished

Having reached the 90% spot mid-december, I once again found myself stuck on a model, unable to find the motivation to push through to the end. Wich is why the last 10% was finished - after a 2-month hiatus - with least possible effort. The Vallejo Metal Varnish actually made it worse in some parts and I won't be bothering to do extra paintwork on the astronauts.

Nevertheless, the kit served it's purpose as source of nostalgia for a long-lost model from my childhood and as a testbed for Vallejo's Metal Color range, which has impressed me (except for the varnish).

Kit: Lunar Module
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Airfix
Price: €7 (second-hand)
Number of parts: 90
Time spent: 14 hours
Project completion time: 4 months

If you get to the last picture, you might think it's a varnishing-job gone horribly wrong, but it is in fact a recreation of micro-meteorite impacts. :-)


Materials used : (Paint = Vallejo)
  • Black primer
  • Metal Color - Duraluminium
  • Gold
  • German Grey (Pure black would have been too harsh)
  • Mix of Light Grey and Yellow Lazure for the base
  • Aluminium foil for the lower stage
  • Sand + white glue (diluted) for the base









5 comments:

  1. That turned out very nice. I have a soft spot for the Apollo program having grown up during that time period. I watched the first steps being taken on the moon, and I got hooked. I built a bunch of the space program kits as a kid, including a lunar module.
    Yours looks amazing. The gold is especially good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't around for the Apollo program, but got totally hooked on space in 1986 (I was 8), when there was an exhibit in Brussels. It got me into Sci-Fi and modelling.

      Delete
    2. Wow... that makes me feel old. I was 8 in 1972!

      Delete
  2. Jeroen I like how your model turned out. It has the look of that era, the colors give one the feeling of how it should have looked, micro-meteorite impacts and all.
    P.S. When my wife and I watched the Moon landing live on TV we were amazed at how far we had progressed and wondered, how much more advanced we would get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like - as far as spacefaring is concerned - we have regressed instead of evolved. I'm anxious to see if it'll be in OUR lifetime if we see some giant leaps in science/technology again.

      Delete