Tuesday 26 November 2013

Sprue Cutters Union 19: Back in Black

Black friday is a post-Thanksgiving tradition to give insane discounts to the horde of Christmas-shoppers. As a modeller, it would seem the best time to score one or more extra pricey kits, considered too expensive the rest of the year.

- What did you score this Black Friday weekend? -

Unfortunateley, Black friday is an American tradition, not honoured here in Europe. So I didn't get to go crazy shopping. I guess the only thing I can do, is report on my latest purchases, made past weekend at a local  scale model convention.


Trumpeter's 1/35 Panzerjägerwagen, which is basically a tank on rails. Much more rapidly deployed, as trains can move a lot faster than a tank, but they can only go where the rails point, of course.
I liked the included rail-section, eliminating the need to build a base for it myself. I bought it for €15 as a second-hand from our very own chairman at IPMS Ghent. Not 10 minutes later, I saw it at a vendor table for €40. Score!
Bending the included photo-etch will prove a challenge, but that just makes it interesting and a good learning experience. If I frack it up, I can still go with the plastic version.


Revell's 1/72 Kamov Ka-50 Hokum is a kit I built 20 years ago and was very proud of. Unfortunately it got destroyed after getting squished between two planks while preparing to move to another house.
I bought this for €3, because it had no decals. I see this as an opportunity to try and print my own decals, another area of our modelling hobby that I have yet to venture into.


Revell's 1/40 M-48 Bridge builder. A classic kit from 1959, re-issued in 2009. I believe it was meant to be 1/35 but was so far off scale that they just re-issued it as 1/40. It's one of those kits where the box-art and subject (or combination thereof) just speaks to me. At €21, I considered it for a few minutes, but ended up circling back around the room and grabbing it.



Are you as anxious as me to see what the other Spruecutters got? Follow the links below :

2 comments:

  1. Quite the variety you've got there. Particularly like the Hokum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey claim them as Black Friday purchases, that way you have an excuse for the better half....lol

    ReplyDelete